When I was growing up my step dad used to say to me every time we passed by a cemetery “that piece of land holds all the riches, ideas and innovations in the world.”
For a while I would look at him strangely and let his comment pass over my head. There came a time when I turned to him and asked what he meant. He would get this sly smile on his face and he said, that place holds a lot of dreams deferred.
As I got older he explained he wished for me to never go to my grave with regrets. Almost two decades later, we would have a conversation about the things in life he regretted. There was one more reminder given of living life to the fullest and not being afraid to try something new.
It turns out he knew he was sick but didn’t want to tell me that. So instead he talked to me about regrets. Remarkably I haven’t remembered this until speaking to my own son a few days ago when passing by a graveyard.
I had the urge to tell him about the richness of that land. I wish dad could have shared his wisdom directly to my babies, but I like to think this story came back to my memory so that I could share it with you.
You may have some thoughts popping in and out of your mind with valid reasons why you shouldn’t act today.
Ignore them and act. OR
Live with regret. Your choice.
Here are 10 Quotes on Regret:
1. “I made decisions that I regret, and I took them as learning experiences…I’m human, not perfect, like everybody else.” – Queen Latifah
2. “The one thing I learned is to just give everything a shot. You don’t want to live in regret.” – Chloe Kim
3. “I never regret anything. Because every little detail of your life is what made you into who you are in the end.” – Drew Barrymore
4. “We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future.” – Steve Maraboli
5. “If you aren’t in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret.” – Jim Carrey
6. “Regret is heavier than change.” – Mel Robbins
7. “When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
8. “There are no regrets in life, just lessons.” – Jennifer Anniston
9. “You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.” – Michelle Obama
10. “Just keep taking chances and having fun.” – Garth Brooks
Til next time,
“Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt