In a previous post I mentioned that everyone has goals with survival being the number one priority. It’s the one goal that everyone has in common – everyone wants to survive. But there comes a time when life helps us to recognize that we need to experience life, not just survive it.
It usually starts with a faint feeling that there must be more to life than this. We begin to recognize and empathize with the words of songs, lines and characters from movies become familiar and little by little we begin to become dissatisfied. What we don’t have yet is a recognition of what we want but we begin to understand that we want something.
This Black History month I can’t help but to think about those who wanted something more but didn’t have access to the resources & technology we have in 2020. They let their dissatisfaction morph into a dream then found a way to achieve it.
This month and decade, listen to your instincts – want something. Here are 10 quotes from those who wanted more at a time when more was not the easy choice.
10 Inspirational Quotes
1. “I don’t want to survive, I want to live.” – Solomon Northup
2. “I had to make my own living and my own opportunity. But I made it! Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them.” – Madam C. J. Walker
3. “Nothing will work unless you do.” – Maya Angelou
4. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” – James Baldwin
5. “Where there is no vision, there is no hope.” – George Washington Carver
6. “If you can be the best, then why not try to be the best?” – Garrett Morgan
7. “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it. Carry it by the comfortable handles of gratitude for what’s positive and that it is not worse, rather than the uncomfortable edges of bitterness for the negatives and that it is not better.” – Lena Horne
8. “To realize our dreams we must decide to wake up.” – Josephine Baker
9. “My recipe for life is not being afraid of myself, afraid of what I think or of my opinions.” – Eartha Kitt
10. “When you’re dead, you’re done.” – Louis Armstrong
Which quote do you relate to? Write it down and make it a reminder to aspire for more. Share your favorite quote and inspire someone today.
Til next time,
“I got my start by giving myself a start.” – Madam C. J. Walker