It seems that today’s television viewing options are filled with reality television shows which label themselves as unscripted but the actions demonstrated make it nearly impossible to believe that some pre-meditation wasn’t involved. Admittedly the editing and splicing of video does make for entertaining diversion time. It also serves as a reminder that someone is always watching and what you see on tv may not always be the whole story.
That’s true for our expectations – sometimes what we imagine in our minds is not the whole story. We only visualize the exciting portions of the idea, project, dream or experience but we hardly ever think of the real aspects such as work, setbacks, rejection and then more work. But in the end, the word expectation tells us that we are looking forward or anticipating a specific outcome.
One of the phrases I keep in my personal cheerleader is – Dreams should lead to expectations and expectations should lead to reality. This phrase reminds me that my reality is in my control. Even with the absence of a dream, my expectations are still a result of my thoughts.
Here are 7 quotes to repeat and place into your subconscious so that you can become the reality star of your life.
Seven Quotes on Reality vs Expectations:
1. “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” – Bruce Lee
2. “Set the standard! Stop expecting others to show you love, acceptance, commitment, & respect when you don’t even show that to yourself.” – Steve Maraboli
3. “Change your thoughts and you change your world.” – Norman Vincent Peale
4. “Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.” – John Lennon
5. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr. Seuss
6. “Either you deal with what is the reality, or you can be sure that the reality is going to deal with you.” – Alex Haley
7. “If you talk about it, it’s a dream, if you envision it, it’s possible, but if you schedule it, its real.” – Tony Robbins
Do you have a favorite quote or practice about self-control or expectations? Share with me in the comments.
Til next time,
“Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.” – Buddha
Thanks, I appreciate you reminding me of definitions given through others throughts. Well done.