I spent the weather holiday laughing with my baby Win watching a children’s show called Masha and the Bear on Netflix. The show had minimal words spoken by Masha (a cartoon toddler little girl) who somehow communicates with her animal friends throughout the story. The animals don’t talk but they always find a way to communicate and laugh together. Those animals helped me to laugh away my frustrations of life and with the negativity gone, it seemed a little easier to return to the tasks on my to do list.
As the week returned to its normal hectic schedule, whenever I needed a mental pick me up, I spent a few moments watching and listening to things which would make me laugh some of my tension away. A massage not bubble bath and wine was available so laughter became my choice of relaxation.
A few times I found myself turning back to kid entertainment shows and laughing until I had to remind myself that I was in fact an adult watching a kids show. Now I find myself looking for opportunities to laugh everywhere I go.
Laughter is after all proven to provide multiple health benefits. Help guide.org indicated a few benefits as:
- Decreasing stress hormones
- Increasing immune cells and infection fighting antibodies
- Triggering the release of endorphins
Mayoclinic.org also details benefits as:
- Increase of oxygen rich air
- Relief of pain
- Improved mood
With benefits like these, no wonder I am enjoying these silly episodes of Masha and the Bear, Are We Adobe Yet, and The Big Bang Theory. In case you need a little more inspiration, below are ten quotes on laughter.
Quotes about the Power of Laughter:
- “If laughter cannot solve your problems, it will definitely DISSOLVE your problems; so that you can think clearly what to do about them.” – Dr. Madan Kataria
- “A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.” – Phyllis Diller
- “Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine.” – Lord Byron
- “An optimist laughs to forget; a pessimist forgets to laugh.” – Tom Nansbury
- “Humor is laughing at what you haven’t got when you ought to have it.” – James Langston Hughes
- “A day without laughter is wasted.” – Charlie Chaplin
- “Laughter is an instant vacation.” – Milton Berle
- “Laughter is America’s most important export.” – Walt Disney
- “Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.” – Bob Newhart
- “A person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.” – Shirley MacLaine
Til next time,
“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” – Maya Angelou