Earlier today I spoke with a dear friend who is struggling with adjusting to her new normal. You see my friend is the quintessential definition of a well put together woman – she is beautiful, dignified, fashionable, educated, entrepreneurial and fiercely dedicated to those she calls a friend.
A few months ago, she received a medical diagnosis that as answered a lot of questions regarding symptoms she has experienced off and on for a few years. The diagnosis also dashing the newlywed bliss she was enjoying and made her realize that her life would never be back the way it was. Her disorder which is similar to lupus gives her moments of weakness and fatigue.
But she never gives up!
She is still dressed as if a photographer is awaiting her arrival no matter how bad she feels.
She is the epitome of Courage Re-Defined.
She is resilient.
In honor of my dear friend and others who are struggling with medical conditions or life in general, here are 10 quotes on courage to give you extra strength.
1. “What would you do if your weren’t afraid.” – Sheryl Sandberg
2. “Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center if gravity. Don’t fight them. Just find a new way to stand.” – Oprah Winfrey
3. “I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” – Audre Lorde
4. “You can’t have a million-dollar dream with a minimum-wage work ethic.” – Stephen C. Hogan
5. “The longer you’re not taking action the more money you’re losing.” – Carrie Wilkerson
6. “The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up.” – Robert Tew
7. “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you…never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
8. “Resilience isn’t a single skill. It’s a variety of skills and coping mechanisms. To bounce back from bumps in the road as well as failures, you should focus on emphasizing the positive.” – Jean Chatzky
9. “Resilience is knowing that you are the only one that has the power and the responsibility to pick yourself up.” – Mary Holloway
10. “Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it’s less good than the one you had before.” – Elizabeth Edwards
Til next time,
“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” – President Theodore Roosevelt