It’s Thanksgiving Eve in the United States. We are surrounded by talk of turkey, sides, desserts and families. We reflect on what we have to be thankful for, at least we should.
We will eat to much and exercise to little.
We will remember stories and life experiences from way back when.
We will laugh til we cry but also may feel sadness for those unable to be present around the table.
We will welcome new members and visitors to our tables and homes while wishing other people didn’t show up. (There is always at least one Thanksgiving recap that has the rolling of the eyes because someone was there.)
No matter the area of this great world we live in, this week is a good week for introspection. Time to look at our life and say, how can I make this world better. How can I make today better. How can I make sure everyone feels welcome at my home and table.
Sometimes its easy for me to get consumed with my corner of the world, it seems I don’t see or acknowledge the frowns or sadness on people around me. I forget when I see people cut in front of me in traffic that I don’t know their story and they don’t know mine.
As we prepare for the holiday madness, I want to share ten quotes which remind us of our ability to change – make a difference in someone’s life. Who knows that someone may be the one we see when we look in the mirror.
1. “One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up, instead of what they have to gain.” – Rick Godwin
2. “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” – Henry Ford
3. “We are all broken, That’s how the light gets in.” – Ernest Hemingway
4. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out.” – Dr. Seuss
5. “I just wake up hoping that I don’t screw up today.” – John Krasinski
6. “If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
7. “Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” – Julia Child
8. “Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.” – Dalai Lama
9. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need.” – Tao Te Ching
10. “This is a wonderful day. I’ve never seen this one before.” – Maya Angelou
Til next time,
Give a smile and a hello to everyone you meet. Your may be the only friendly greeting they receive today. A smile & a hello can create a little sunshine in someone’s life.