“Mirror, Mirror on the wall,
Who’s the fairest of them all?”
This quote from the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty is probably one we remember from childhood. At some point in your life, you could likely empathize with the queen’s desire to be the prettiest or most handsome of all. Now you recognize the line for what it is, a part of a children’s story. But what if we revised the quote to say:
“Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Whose the most capable of them all?
“Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Whose going to give me a chance after all?”
No matter which phrase you may be drawn to, the answer to both questions is the person you see reflected back in the mirror who shares your fingerprints. Look in the mirror and repeat after me, NO not in your head! Repeat with your outside voice, “I will create opportunities for myself. My new life begins today.”
“A #2 pencil and a dream can take you anywhere.” -Joyce A. Myers
Do you have a pencil? Do you have a pen?
Do you have a dream?
Can you spare $2?
If you answered yes to all of the above, you have all you need to begin creating YOUR opportunities. Pick up your pen or your pencil and a journal. Don’t have one? Make a stop to your local dollar store and you can purchase both for $2 plus tax. Now that you have the journal & pen, follow these instructions:
- Create four columns down the center of your page.
- In the first column, write the heading Career Interests.
- Now in the third column, write the heading Barriers: These are the things which are preventing you from working in this area.
- Label the final column Needs: These are the things you need to learn, obtain, or resources necessary in order to remove the barriers identified.
- Take a few minutes breathe and review your answers to steps 2 – 4 to ensure you include specific details. Vague answers lead to vague plans of action. Specificity is vital to your assuming control over new opportunities.
- Create your plan of action. Utilizing the identified needs, begin searching for resources which will assist you with moving each need into a strength area.
Remember, “The best way to predict the future is to create it” Peter F. Drucker. If you don’t see the opportunities coming your way, create your own. “Obstacles cannot crush me, every obstacle yields to stern resolve” Leonardo da Vinci.
Til next time,
“Action expresses priorities” – Mohandas Gandhi